The complete works of William Shakespeare are available here.
Biographical and contextual information:
- Harrison, William. Description of Elizabethan England. (1577)
- more from Holinshed's Chronicles.(1577)
- Rowe, Nicholas. Some Acount of the Life &c. of Mr. William Shakespeare. (1709)
- Hazlitt, William. Characters of Shakespeare's Plays. (1817)
Early sources of the story of Antony and Cleopatra:
- Plutarch, "The Life of Marcus Antonius", from Lives. ca. 100 A.D.
Early English versions of the story:
- Chaucer, Geoffrey. "The Legend of Cleopatra." From The Legend of Good Women. 1385.
- Shakespeare, William. Antony and Cleopatra. First Folio version. 1623.
- Dryden, John. All for Love. 1677.
- Shaw, G. B. Caesar and Cleopatra. 1899.
- 16th Century English Literature: Background Information
- Adelman, Janet. "Making Defect Perfection: Shakespeare and the One-Sex Model." Enacting Gender on the English Renaissance Stage. Comensoli, Russell, eds. 1999. [PDF]